Hi community, October has been a month of hard work with more progress toward Catapult launch, and Migration teams are working together toward Catapult commercialisation. Please find our summary of the month’s events below.
- Catapult Migration Update #2. Take a look at what the Migration Committee’s been up to recently and the progress made since the last update. Click here.
- Here are some FAQs with regards to the upcoming Catapult launch. Click here
Tech Team Updates
- Here’s the October 2019 Tech Update. Read the full update here.
- Protocol Updates
- NEM Foundation Experimental Testnet
- NEM Developer Center
- Command Line Interface and Software Development Kits
- Block Explorer Project Update
- Desktop Wallet Project Update
- Mobile Wallet Project Update
- Working Group for Public Release Migration
- Here’s part three of our three part Catapult Elephant Update series. In this last part of the series, we introduce the following features
- Dynamic Rental Fees
- Persistent Delegation Harvesting Unlocking
Global Team Updates
We would like to announce that effective October 13, we have onboarded a new CFO. Agatha Priscilla (Cillia) will be stepping down from her role as CFO with the NEM Foundation. Cillia has been with the Foundation for 2 years and we want to extend our deepest appreciation for all the hard work she has done. We wish her nothing but the best for the next stage of her career.
Our new CFO is Lei Dong who is based out of Melbourne, Australia. Lei is a qualified chartered accountant and was formerly the Financial Controller at Huobi Australia. He brings over 15 years of professional finance experience and we’re excited to have him onboard.
Japan Community Update
Good news! Catapult Tech Book has been published by the Japanese NEMbers! Hurry and get your copy now! Click here.
- Watch an interview by Alexis Trujillo (NEMEspanol) with Shu (creator of NEMlog & NEMgraph) and Enu (Graphic designer), on how NEMgraph can help the #NEM community grow. English Full interview here.
Business Development Updates
- Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) Call for Collaboration session — NEM Business Development Director, Leroy Mah and Business Development Manager, Jesyka Hiu attended this session to better understand the local education scene especially on establishing industry competence with Institutions of Higher Learning - Premier Digital Tech Institutions (IHL-PDTI) in order to nurture the future of Malaysia. More information here.
Opening speech by MDEC’s Vice President of Talent Development and Digital Entrepreneurship, Sumitra Nair.
- KPMG Cyber Challenge 2019 — NEM partnered up with one of the Strategic Partners of KPMG Cyber Challenge 2019, Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET) for Cyber Technology Challenge (Blockchain). Participants were required to come up with a simple Halal food supply chain solution using NEM wallet within an hour. The competition gathered over 300 undergrads from 21 universities and colleges. More photos here.
- Two-year blockchain sandbox programme by The National University of Malaysia (UKM) — NEM Business Development Director, Leroy Mah and IBM Client Technical Advisor, Lee Yu Kit talked about the use cases and future of blockchain technology in this part of the world during UKM Blockchain Talks - September series.
This is a pre-launching series of a two-year blockchain sandbox programme where the end goal is to influence country policy makers and regulators as well as to create a national blockchain framework. More photos here.
- Partnership with Multimedia University (MMU) — NEM inked partnership with Multimedia University (MMU) to power MMU’s blockchain education, adoption as well as all related activities on campus. More exciting activities will be revealed soon!
NEM Business Development Director, Leroy Mah and Business Development Manager, Jesyka Hiu with the team from Faculty of Engineering, MMU.
Blockchain Village at Medini (BVAM) — BVAM is an extension of the GBS ISKANDAR initiatives under the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund organization, Khazanah Nasional Bhd to further support the growth of blockchain ecosystem in Malaysia. NEM is honoured to be the steering committee of this initiative and excited to grow the ecosystem hand in hand with the team and like minded people. More photos here.
NEM Business Development Director, Leroy Mah and Business Development Manager, Jesyka Hiu with the key management team of i2M Ventures Sdn. Bhd and other ecosystem partners.
- Our Lady Of Fatima University (OLFU) — The Frelec3-Current Trends and Seminar class from BS Information Technology of Our Lady Of Fatima University, Antipolo branch, Philippines. The class is studying under Prof. Edward Cruz who has been trained by the NEM Team. They are currently studying Python, a programming language that can be used in NEM Blockchain and Catapult.
- 45th Philippine Business & Expo —NEM Foundation was one of the exhibitors in the 45th Philippine Business & Expo, the country’s biggest business gathering organized by the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI), October 16 and 17, 2019 at the Manila Hotel.
This year’s theme, “Enabling Business in a Digital Economy,” brings into focus the dynamics of a digitally-driven economy and how it impacts on people’s growth and business sustainability. The conference was attended by 1000 business delegates from local and foreign networks. H.E. Rodrigo Duterte, President, Republic of the Philippines was the Guest of Honour and one of the keynote speakers of the event.
- Ateneo De Manila University — graduate students from the Blockchain Elective class of DISCS in Ateneo De Manila University, Philippines. This class is learning about the Blockchain technology under the instructor who has been trained by the NEM Team, Sir Christian Pulmano. Aside from being an instructor, he is also the current OIC Director of the Ateneo Blockchain (ABC) Laboratory, a skilled programmer and also a Guest Technical Trainer, who is helping the NEM team in conducting the Train-the-trainers workshops to different universities in the Philippines.
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines — September 30, 2019, NEM Foundation’s Business Development Manager, Mr. Julius Fresco, discussed Blockchain Technology, NEM Blockchain, and Catapult to the students of Polytechnic University of the Philippines Commonwealth Information Technology Society, Quezon City, Philippines. Mr. Elixes Becislao, COO of CEstates, a real estate platform using NEM Blockchain, discussed the importance of Blockchain Education and opportunities that the students will get in learning the technology.
- Jose Rizal University — The Data Security class from the College of Computer Studies and Engineering (CCSE) of Jose Rizal University (JRU). This class is learning about Blockchain technology under Prof. Jennel Cheng who has been trained by the NEM Team. JRU CCSE have currently conducted training to the students about Integrating NEM Blockchain to Node JS and Express Web Application. These students already have their own NEM wallet accounts and they are studying how the wallet functions.
- ICCT Colleges — The Platform Technology and Advance Database Management System class of ICCT Colleges, Cainta Rizal, Philippines. This class is learning about the Blockchain technology under the Professor who has been trained by the NEM Team, Prof. Tom Makiling.
- Seameo Innotech — NEM Foundation’s Business Development Manager, Mr. Julius Fresco, discussed the Blockchain 101 and NEM Blockchain 101 in the Consultation Workshop organized by Seameo Innotech regarding the Joint Graduate Diploma Program (JGDP). The workshop was attended by Presidents and Deans of different university partners of Seameo Innotech.
Sasha Ivanova participated in “La Conexion” event in Buenos Aires, Argentina, she presented “Introduction to Catapult and its use cases”, you can view her slide presentation in Spanish here, Also there was a startup competition, the winning project is about NEM technology, the name is Sharp Shark and it’s about intellectual property. This award was announced by Cointelegraph in Spanish.
Council Member Pedro E. Gutierrez Q., was at the Expoedifica event, accompanying the NEM Foundation partner, BIMTRAZER. In the event the software that uses NEM technology was awarded as the most innovative of the entire event. More info here. This produces a news in Cointelegraph in Spanish.
- NEM Foundation sign partnership with Mousebelt University, community of universities from all over the world enabling students to collaborate, share ideas, and enhance their understanding of blockchain. Through the MouseBelt University Program they support over 65 organizations with event sponsorships, research and resource grants. This will allow to spread Catapult technology simultaneously in all these universities. This produced some media coverage: Coindesk, Cointelegraph, among others
Kyiv National University of Culture and Arts — Lecture about implementation of blockchain technology in business for the students of management faculty
- CryptoHeroes — We are excited to announce the relaunch of CryptoHeroes! A NEM-based charity project founded by NEM Foundation Council Member Anton Bosenko, to bring trust, transparency, and traceability to the not-for-profit sector. Click here to learn more.
- Cryptour - NEM Foundation Council Member Anton Bosenko is one of the speakers in the upcoming OKEx #CryptourUkraine 2019!
- Digital Transformation in Ukraine - NEM Foundation Council Member Anton Bosenko recently signed an MoC between the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Digital Transformation, Blockchain4Ukraine IPA, Office of Effective Regulation (BRDO), several profile associations including NEM. Click here to learn more.
- Cryptodealers NEM Episode - Watch the last NEM Foundation Technology Update by Cryptodealers
(Ukrainian) Watch it here.
- National Blockchain Roadmap Industry Consultation — Jason Lee, Vice President for NEM Foundation was recently invited to contribute to the Australia National Blockchain Roadmap Industry Consultation by Federal Minister Karen Andrews from the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science on October 14th in Canberra, Australia’s capital city.
- The National Blockchain Roadmap is a clear commitment from the Australian Government to the blockchain industry in terms of support and guidance, and also an educational piece to help all Australian’s fully realise the economic potential that could be gained through the use of this technology.
- Present were other key industry and academic blockchain experts to develop the strategy. The roadmap is being guided by an expert Advisory Committee, comprising the government, Blockchain Australia, CSIRO Data 61 (Australia’s national research agency), RMIT (university) and blockchain businesses.
NEM Foundation has been present in Australia since 2017 and is committed towards the development of the National Blockchain Roadmap and will contribute in its role as a member of Blockchain Australia.
Parliamentary Friends of Blockchain Reception at Parliament House
In the evening, an industry reception for the blockchain sector was held to meet with Parliamentarians who will determine regulation for our sector at the Parliament House. Selected blockchain thought leaders have been invited.
*Guest Lecture at Monash University
The NEM Foundation team in Australia were invited to conduct a guest lecture to Cybersecurity Masters students at Monash University this Wednesday on 23 October 2019.
Jason Lee (Vice President), Karen Cohen (HR) and Jian Chan (Global Project Manager) shared from a ‘practitioner’s perspective’ on the 2-hour lecture titled ‘Money & ICOs’. Also part of the lecture was Michael Bacina, Partner at law firm Piper Alderman which advised a significant number of the top 10 ICOs in Australia.
Monash University is the best university in Australia for engineering and technology (Times Higher Education, 2017-2018) and ranked 75th globally in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020.
Also present was Associate Professor Joseph Liu who is launching the Monash Blockchain Technology Centre. Find out more here.
- Interview with Jason Lee on ChainTalk
Jason Lee, Vice President of NEM Foundation was interviewed in a discussion on how NEM Foundation is going through the launch of Catapult and are now on a path of resurgence and other important industry topics.
Latest Partnership Updates
- NEMStudios, a dedicated strategy and back-end development unit to support the ongoing development of Catapult, has released an update! Read the full update here.
- BTCManager is one of the top websites for the blockchain industry and NEM is happy to be partnered with them. Read more about BTCManager here.
- Daneel is the first A.I software created to help cryptocurrency investors by offering a truly comprehensive approach to monitor the market. No less than 300,000 active crypto investors will benefit from the partnership with NEM through the integration of the Daneel widget into the NEM ecosystem. Click here and stay tuned for the upcoming Daneel Pro version! 🚀
Partner Highlight Series
- Free Market Token brings a whole new e-commerce experience through the NEM blockchain! Enjoy shopping and selling on Ecryptostore.com with the rewards and protection that Free Market Token provides.
- Konstellation (formerly DarcMatter) was built to enhance capital flow and transparency within the alternative investment industry by providing direct access to alternative investments. Indeed, what they do matters. Click here to know more.
- The NEM blockchain and Apostille program takes the standard notarization process and modernizes it by backing up these notaries in an international and decentralized blockchain bound by computer code and cryptography. Learn more here.
- CaptiveApp is an augmented reality mobile app that is redefining “engagement” marketing. Powered by the NEM Blockchain, users get rewarded with tokens (NEM Mosaics) through interactions which they can redeem in the marketplace. Click here to learn more!
- Living Room of Satoshi is a simple and secure way to pay your everyday Australian bills with Bitcoin and XEM. Click here to learn more about the hassle-free transactions.
Verified Exchange Series
- COSS is your one-stop shop for all things crypto: an exchange, an e-wallet, a platform for ICO launches and promotional trading campaigns, a fiat gateway, a market cap widget, and more! Click here to start trading with $XEM!
- BTC-Alpha provides advanced financial services to both beginner and professional traders around the world with the security of 2FA. Get your $XEM with BTC-Alpha today! Click here.
- Did you know you can buy $XEM at Bittrex, one of the largest crypto to crypto exchanges? They also offer a large number of trading pairs such as Ethereum, Bitcoin, Litecoin, etc. Start trading today! Click here.
- Coinsuper is a Hong Kong-based cryptocurrency exchange providing professional digital asset trading and customized services for individuals. Visit their website for more info and start trading with XEM today!
- CoinSpot is Australia’s most popular Digital Currency Exchange, offering a wide range of cryptocurrencies to buy, sell or swap via their unique CoinSwap feature. Get your $XEM at CoinSpot today!
- Changelly allows you to instantly and securely purchase $XEM with a bank card. It acts as an intermediary between crypto exchanges and users, offering access to 150+ cryptocurrencies. Click here to get started.
- Coinbe is a European cryptocurrency exchange that lets you buy $XEM with guaranteed high transaction security. They also offer very low and attractive fees! Check them out here.
- CoinPayments is a borderless online payments platform and cryptocurrency wallet that serves as a payment alternative for consumers and merchants. Click here to find out where you can pay using $XEM.
Core Devs on Social
- Need assistance with anything related to NEM (General queries, deposit/withdrawal issues, and partnerships)? Feel free to drop a message on NEM Helpdesk or email us at: help and we’ll be happy to assist you!
Look forward to more exciting updates to come, see you next month!